Musical Accompaniment:
It was always cloudy at Instep but only seldom fell the rain
And when then on occasion, nothing ever was the same
For the village was haunted by some wicked unseen monster
Who, in the summer storms, down from the peak would saunter
The townsfolk had their lore which told how to keep the creature at bay
A candle in the window would see the beast move on its way
For this reason it’d been generations since the wraith had taken a life
But upon my arrival in the Mammoth Hills the time was far past ripe
A cretin or a simpleton, so was my uncle known
A poet misconstrued, from the village he had flown
Two storms into the summer and he was yet to reappear
My Uncle Ott had paid the price of those who don’t adhere
I couldn’t understand why nobody seemed to care
So I mustered up my bravery as god rained out the summer fair
Up the mountain I ran and when at last I reached the top
Two things there I did find: a cave and my Uncle Ott
It was then I heard the howling echoing up out of the blackness
But when Ott explained its source to me I was overcome by sadness
It was just a geological oddity, the tales weren’t true at all
T’was the whistling of a hot spring which had the villagers enthralled
As I listened to the sounds, I had an awful realization
The tradition of the beast was for the village a foundation
Could I, in good faith, explain that which made them so unique
Was nothing more than a vent of steam up on the mountain peak?
For days Ott had been debating very much the same
But for me the answer seemed then actually quite plain
The village must learn of this, I thought, as I raced back down the slope
To know the truth comes first, with the repercussions they must cope
Soaked to the bone eventually at Instep I arrived
And the townsfolk were amazed that I had made it back alive
Then I unmasked the Megrimum with only somewhat reservation
But to my surprise, instead of shock, I was met with agitation
Stop spinning yarns, they told me, who would believe such a still story?
I couldn’t understand their doubt so I just told them I was sorry
Then I was cast out of Instep as the summer drew to a close
For when faced with faith and reason, it was the Megrimum they chose
I was an outsider and wasn't raised in the mountain’s wake
It was less obvious to me how very much then was at stake
To denounce all you’ve ever known is never an easy thing to do
But it’s wise – even imperative to enhance your field of view
It’s ok to say goodbye to the things you once held dear
Of enlightenment and change there’s no reason to have fear
There’s order in the chaos, life’s beautiful all the same
And when then on occasion, nothing ever was the same
For the village was haunted by some wicked unseen monster
Who, in the summer storms, down from the peak would saunter
The townsfolk had their lore which told how to keep the creature at bay
A candle in the window would see the beast move on its way
For this reason it’d been generations since the wraith had taken a life
But upon my arrival in the Mammoth Hills the time was far past ripe
A cretin or a simpleton, so was my uncle known
A poet misconstrued, from the village he had flown
Two storms into the summer and he was yet to reappear
My Uncle Ott had paid the price of those who don’t adhere
I couldn’t understand why nobody seemed to care
So I mustered up my bravery as god rained out the summer fair
Up the mountain I ran and when at last I reached the top
Two things there I did find: a cave and my Uncle Ott
It was then I heard the howling echoing up out of the blackness
But when Ott explained its source to me I was overcome by sadness
It was just a geological oddity, the tales weren’t true at all
T’was the whistling of a hot spring which had the villagers enthralled
As I listened to the sounds, I had an awful realization
The tradition of the beast was for the village a foundation
Could I, in good faith, explain that which made them so unique
Was nothing more than a vent of steam up on the mountain peak?
For days Ott had been debating very much the same
But for me the answer seemed then actually quite plain
The village must learn of this, I thought, as I raced back down the slope
To know the truth comes first, with the repercussions they must cope
Soaked to the bone eventually at Instep I arrived
And the townsfolk were amazed that I had made it back alive
Then I unmasked the Megrimum with only somewhat reservation
But to my surprise, instead of shock, I was met with agitation
Stop spinning yarns, they told me, who would believe such a still story?
I couldn’t understand their doubt so I just told them I was sorry
Then I was cast out of Instep as the summer drew to a close
For when faced with faith and reason, it was the Megrimum they chose
I was an outsider and wasn't raised in the mountain’s wake
It was less obvious to me how very much then was at stake
To denounce all you’ve ever known is never an easy thing to do
But it’s wise – even imperative to enhance your field of view
It’s ok to say goodbye to the things you once held dear
Of enlightenment and change there’s no reason to have fear
There’s order in the chaos, life’s beautiful all the same
And whether by god or happenstance, the difference lies only in the name

No comments:
Post a Comment